While finishing up the post from yesterday about what it is like to have ADD, I went to find a picture to go with the post. I spent over 11 minutes on this screen. (I have an electronic timing software on my computer so I can bill clients for my work, and it catches everything.)
I didn’t find an image like the one I wanted. Normally, that would have sent me off on an hour long search for better clip art, but I have implemented a rule for myself that when it comes to blog posts, I am only allowed to use Microsoft Clip Organizer for clip art. It’s not that I think it is the best source of clip art, but I know that if I start looking at other sites, I’m going to find posts and links and pictures that intrigue me, and I will end up losing a lot of precious time by following and read each interesting item.
That is another example of what it is like to have ADHD.
Even with my rule, I still spent a crazy amount of time on that one screen. Why?
It’s not like I remember every thought I had (ADD remember?) but I do remember some of them. In no particular order, here is what caused my own ADD brain to get bogged down on this seemingly minor task.
- The two images at the top with the gold globe head look like skeletons, are they?
- Previewing the images says no, but they are really kind of cool. I wonder if there is a way to search by who created the images because maybe there are a bunch of these and you could use them as a theme sometime on some project or website.
- Why is there an empty boardroom table, but not one with people around it?
- The cartoon ones in the middle aren’t even in a meeting. There is just one of them, a boy one, and a girl one, holding a pen. Doesn’t anybody proof these? Maybe I should build a clip art gallery site.
- An empty movie theatre type room is not a meeting either.
- I wonder if Microsoft pays someone to draw these so they have a full clip-art thing?
- Maybe I should check another site…oh,wait, I’ll just get distracted – Hey, that would make a great Addessories post.
- Note, I was only supposed to write one post today. I have other things with pressing deadlines waiting, and until I typed this sentence, I had forgot all about them.
- Don’t worry, they are on my task list that I printed this morning.
- And left on the printer.
- I should get it.
- Ok, now where was I?
- Oh, man, how much more time did you waste writing this post?
- Just finish up real fast.
- What else was I stalled by on the site?
- Oops. Never mind, the word counter says almost 500 words. Just sign off and get back to work.
Um…bye. I have to go do…well, one of these things on the task list.
Now, I just need a clip art for this post…..
(Ed. note – there is no clip art because I was out of coffee and went to get some. When I came back I wasn’t interested in this post anymore, so I used the time / task list as an excuse and just hit post instead.)